GW Girls Golf Team Advances to State
Congratulations to the Girls Golf team for their awesome performance at City Cup on Thursday, April 26.
GW placed 2nd overall in the DPS City Cup and 2nd overall for the Denver Public Schools League! Congratulations to Riley Walters for placing 4th in City Cup and 3rd over all in the League, which qualifies her for DPS’s 1st team. Annie Welch placed an awesome 6th in the tournament and 6th overall in the League, earning her a spot on DPS 2nd team. Brigid McNamara earned 9th overall and qualified for 2nd team as well. Congratulations to the whole team – Riley, Annie, Brigid, and our freshman player, Mia Walters. They move on to Regionals on May 8 at the Air Force Academy, and from there, on to State!
GW Spring Athletic Signings
On Monday, May 15, the Athletic Department recognized the hard work and dedication of six Senior student athletes as they signed their scholarship letters to college.
Jordan Oss: Swimming, The College of Wooster
Shaheem Speer: Basketball, Western Nebraska College
Calvin Fugett: Basketball, Northwest College
Jervay Green: Basketball, Western Nebraska College
Davenport Brantley: Basketball, Lincoln University
Mekhi Peoples: Basketball, Dawson College
On behalf of George Washington High School, thank you for representing the school in such a positive manner over the last four years. We wish you all the very best as you continue your academic and athletic careers.
Cross Country conditioning and the running group this summer will start Tuesday June 21st and will be scheduled Tuesdays and Thursdays at 0600 until we formally begin during the week of August 15th .
Athletes will meet at GW on the Track next to the storage containers.
Call Coach if you have any questions:
Coach Chris Turner
Important Information, Steps and Dates
- Learn about our teams. We have both a JV (for inexperienced, generally younger players) and a Varsity team (for more experienced, generally older players).
- Play in a league this summer if at all possible. One option: there are a few spots for incoming new players on the GW summer team, which has games from late May-early July. Practice for new players begins May 3.
- Obtain a doctor’s physical (required for all high school sports) during the summer. Turn in the paperwork for the physical and parent’s permission form at the first practice attended (pre-season camp or regular season practice).
- Pay the $60 sports fee during registration once you are officially on our roster.
- Our regular fall season starts very early! Attend the voluntary pre-season camp Monday, August 8 – Thursday, August 11. Though not required, this is highly encouraged as it really helps to develop skills and get players ready for the season. Note that this is two weeks before school starts (August 22).
- Begin regular season practices on Monday, August 15 (4:00pm daily). These practices are mandatory for all team members. Teams will be finalized on Wednesday, August 17.
- Start playing games! Our first games will be on August 24, the third day of school.
Contact Coach Cornish with any questions. The times for camp week (starting August 8) are still be determined, so please call or email so that more detailed information can be given to you before then.
720 217 9671 (cell)