Opportunities for Prospective Students
Welcome! We are excited that you are considering George for your high school years. We encourage you to explore our website fully to learn about our academic programs, athletics, clubs, and other exciting opportunities for students.
When you are ready for more we invite to come visit! Below we have outlined the opportunities available to both students and parents to visit our school and get a feel for what life is like at George.
Second semester shadowing is now open. When you click on the button below, please click through the calendar until you reach January. The first available date is January 8, 2019.
READ BEFORE REGISTERING:
- Shadowing appointments are booked on a first-come, first-served, basis.
- We are only booking appointments for the fall semester at this time. Second semester registration will open on November 26 at 10:00am
- We hold shadowing on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.
- When you click on the registration link below you will be taken to a page with available time blocks. Available days will show a block from 8:00am – 12:00pm that you must click in order to register. If there is no clickable block of time that means that day is no longer available.
- When you finish filling out the registration form, only click the “Book Now” button once. You will know the reservation was successful when the screen refreshes with a confirmation page. You will also be sent a confirmation email as well (please double check the accuracy of your email address before submitting). Students must bring a copy of the confirmation email to their scheduled shadow day.
- If you would like to request that your student shadow a specific person, you must request so on your booking form. We cannot guarantee a specific match if it is not requested at the time of booking.
- You are only permitted to sign up for one time slot per student. If you book multiple dates, we will only honor the first appointment on our calendar and subsequent appointments will be canceled.
- We do not maintain a formal waitlist. However, if you sign up for our Shadowing Vacancy notification list, we will let you know when a spot becomes available for booking on our website.
THE SHADOW EXPERIENCE
Shadowing is a great way for current 8th graders to get a feel for our school. On the day you are scheduled to shadow, you should arrive to the school at 8:00am and head to the Security Desk in the North Lobby. Parents, this is where you will say goodbye for the day (check out our Prospective Parent Coffees for something just for you!). Students will be greeted by one of our Student Ambassadors and they will walk you over to our Hall of Fame Room.
While you are waiting for your 9th grade host to pick you up you will have a chance meet other students who are shadowing that day as well as talk to some of our current students. Mrs. Richason will also go over how the school day works and answer any questions you may have before your shadowing experience begins.
At 8:20, our 9th graders will arrive to pick you up. Once you have met your host you’ll head to 2nd Period with them. After 4th Period it’s time for lunch. Lunch is a chance for 9th graders to take a break from the school day, meet up with friends, or maybe attend a club meeting. Underclassmen are not allowed off campus, but if the weather is nice your host might opt to sit outside. Feel free to pack your lunch or bring money to buy lunch – your host will show you the cafeteria no matter what! When lunch is over it’s time for you to head home (or back to school!)
At 11:55am, after lunch, your host will bring you back to the North Lobby where your parent can pick you up at 11:55am.
Tips for your Shadow Day
- Bring a book, schoolwork, or something else to keep you occupied during classes. It is important to remember that you are just getting a snapshot of what a day is like at George and that might mean that a class is taking a test, completing readings, or studying for an exam. Just remember that a shadow day isn’t meant to entertain you. Instead a shadow day gives you a chance to be immersed in GW’s environment.
- Ask your host questions!
- Get involved in class! You are a GW student for the day.
PATRIOT FOR A DAY
October 23, 2018 | 8:00am – 2:15pm
Registration: Registration for PFAD has closed.
Don’t miss your chance to visit GW with your friends and be a Patriot for a Day. Mock school is a great way to interact with teachers, learn about elective programs, and experience George with your friends. You’ll attend abbreviated class periods in all of our core content areas (English, Math, Science, and Social Studies) and experience a taste of our elective offerings such as visual and performing arts, foreign languages, JROTC, Speech and Debate, and many more. This is a wonderful complement to your Shadow Day because you’ll be able to experience the Patriot spirit alongside your friends.
PROSPECTIVE PARENT COFFEES
October 3, 2018 | 8:00am
November 14, 2018 | 8:00am
January 9, 2019 | 8:00am
February 6, 2019 | 8:00am*
*Please note this is a new date to accomodate the new school choice window (January 15 – February 15).
Registration: Please RSVP for the date you’ll be attending below. Parents, we know you have lots of questions! We would like to invite you to meet current GW parents to hear about their experiences at George. This informal meeting is a chance for you to ask both parents and staff members specific questions about George. Curious about the different levels of courses offered? Ask! Curious about what parents think of George? Ask! Just here for the coffee? Come on in!
GW OPEN HOUSES
October 17, 2018 | 5:30pm – 6:30pm*
January 24, 2019 | 5:30pm – 6:30pm
*please note this is a new date – we rescheduled to avoid conflicts with other middle school high school events!
Registration: No RSVP required.
Parents and students, come learn about our academic programs, take a tour, meet the Principal, and explore electives. GW’s open houses are a whirlwind tour of everything George has to offer! These self-guided nights will have a variety of breakout sessions to attend as well as an electives fair and a chance to meet GW’s Student Ambassadors.