SLT Minutes – 4/12/2017

SLT Minutes – 4/12/2017
April 20, 2017 GWHS

ATTENDANCE

Members Present: Kristy Bates (Special Education), Joe Bolz (Math), Pedro Camacho (DCTA), Marcus Lee (Social Studies), Derrick McNeill (Science), Julia Ortiz (Arts), Sarah Ozee (Business/CTE), Dan Singer (English) , Scott Lessard (Administration), SyRae Weikle (Physical Education)

Non-Members Present: Troy Gonzales (ILT), Stephan Arichea (ILT), Adria Tate (Admin Intern)

CALLED TO ORDER

3:00pm

MINUTES

Essential Question: What would you like PD to look like AND accomplish moving forward?

Bates: One Thursday a month have coordinated/organized time to talk about students and create support structures for kids who are struggling

  • College academic advisors creating norms and structures
    • Potentially 7 teachers leading/creating the structures/norms
    • Provide training for academic advisors to create norms and structures

 

Lee: Will not be effective if 9th grade teachers and advisors do not meet.

  • Advisement teachers need to meet with their core teachers (often)
    • Maybe meet before school starts to check 8th grade records, know your kids middle school records
  • Being proactive (9th grade) is crucial

 

Bolz: Teachers taking more ownership for the meetings

  • Teachers not focused/ complaining
  • McNeal: Teachers will get more out of PD if we met in small groups rather than whole staff.
    • Creating meaningful opportunities to meet.
    • Creating equity amongst teacher for the time utilized
    • Focus on how do we reach these kids/ taking them to the next level

 

Tate: Teacher driven is more effective

  • Teachers finding real value in differentiated teacher PD groups
  • Taking sections of our SPF, UIP and working on these sections in small groups

 

Ortiz: Creating norms in the creation of our groups so that groups are being formed based on
needs/focus rather than camaraderie.

 

Lee: Often times, our PD is geared only to our low performing students. When clearly there is also a need to grow our high performing students (data shows they are not growing)

  • How do we get those kids to grow
  • Challenging each other (teachers)

 

Dr. Gonzales: One Thursday we are talking about the kid, the next Thursday we meet with the kids/parents

 

McNeill: What about the kids on the spectrum?

  • Why not introduce the GT kid to robotics or engineering? Kick him that spark
  • When kids are in clubs they do better
  • We have the opportunity to get kids more involved in extracurricular activities

Tate: Other resources, How PLCs Do Data Right

  • Allows for the creative slant we are taking on PD

 

Dr. Gonzales: Some teachers are going to want to work with teachers, some are going to work with equity… what if we have strands and teachers can pick a strand that they want to work with

  • Gradually release of this
  • McNeill: This has been done before at GW ~ 6 years ago, 2 things missing:
    • 4 topics to choose from (topics were chosen by admin)
      • Teachers were thrown into one of them
    • What was missing back then-> level of accountability
  • Have teachers reflection…part of LEAP

 

Bolz: We don’t know what we don’t know, how do we plan for theses PD?

  • Ortiz: Will the same trainings in semester one be offered in semester 2?
    • Tate: Allow some flexibility on what needs to happen
    • Example: should have taken more time to prepare for PSAT/SAT/CMAS training
    • Do not plan too far ahead, do not lock yourself into something that you might have to change

 

Tate: Some teachers want to do some work around equity

  • As a school, we are participating in a study called the Opportunity Gap Cohort…..
  • Ozee: Small Groups are definitely required to do the work on equity
    • People are taking it the wrong way. If you want staff to be receptive be careful on the delivery and how it is being perceived. Perception is reality.
    • In small groups, teachers can speak up for clarification

 

Arichea: Calling parents is not PD, is not an opportunity for growth

  • Creating opportunities for teacher growth by creating these organic PDs based on what comes up.
    • One teacher said that the Equity PD was racist? Working it out and growing is PD
  • We need to be very good at disagreeing. Right now what we are creating as effective is always agreeing
    • There are times when we’re autonomous (we are king/queen of our domain) and there are times when someone else is the king/queen of my domain
  • When do I get to decide what is better for the collective?
    • These are things we need to embed in our PD

 

Bolz: PD happens, then we forget about PD until we meet again in PD

  • How can we apply PD to what we are doing in our content this week
  • How can coaches work with teachers based on PD trainings
  • McNeal: Small groups is important because it empowers the individual teacher and the coach

 

McNeill: Accountability piece has to be structured and it needs to look similar no matter where
the teacher goes.

Should we plan to have something for SLT?

McNeill: Topics have to be teacher created…SLT cannot be the only voice in creating topics

Ozee: Could we ask for topics before the structures are put in place?

Lee: I need clarification on what you mean by structures?

What does it look like to “gradually release?”

What does it look like for teachers who actually want to lead?

 

Other questions we attempted to address through our discussion/brainstorming session:

Guiding Questions:

  1. Reflecting on this year’s PD, what went well?
  2. What specific parts of this year’s PD should be leveraged moving forward?
  3. Reflecting on this year’s SPF data, what topics or areas of interest ought to be included in next year’s PD?
  4. How might we use the UIP to create a teacher-centered and teacher-driven PD Plan?
  5. What structures would that include?

MEETING ADJOURNED

4:00pm

NEXT MEETING

4/26/2017