Opportunities for Prospective Students
Welcome! We are excited that you are considering George for your high school years. We encourage you to explore our website fully to learn about our academic programs, athletics, clubs, and other exciting opportunities for students.
When you are ready for more we invite to come visit! Below we have outlined the opportunities available to both students and parents to visit our school and get a feel for what life is like at George.
Second Semester shadowing registration will open at 10:00am on December 2, 2019.
Please read the details below before booking a shadowing date.
READ BEFORE REGISTERING:
- Shadowing appointments are booked on a first-come, first-served, basis.
- We hold shadowing on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays.
- When you click on the registration link below you will be taken to a page with available time blocks. Available days will show a block from 9:00am – 1:00pm that you must click in order to register. If there is no clickable block of time that means that day is no longer available.
- When you finish filling out the registration form, only click the “Book Now” button once. You will know the reservation was successful when the screen refreshes with a confirmation page. You will also be sent a confirmation email as well (please double check the accuracy of your email address before submitting). Students must bring a copy of the confirmation email to their scheduled shadow day.
- If you would like to request that your student shadow a specific person, you must request so on your booking form. We cannot guarantee a specific match if it is not requested at the time of booking.
- You are only permitted to sign up for one time slot per student. If you book multiple dates, we will only honor the first appointment on our calendar and subsequent appointments will be canceled.
- We do not maintain a formal waitlist. If someone cancels their appointment, that slot will automatically open up for booking on our website.
- 2nd semester shadowing registration will open on December 2, 2019 at 10:00am.
THE SHADOW EXPERIENCE
Shadowing is a great way for current 8th graders to get a feel for our school. On the day you are scheduled to shadow, you should arrive to the school at 9:00am and enter through our North Lobby doors. Parents, this is where you will say goodbye for the day (check out our Prospective Parent Coffees for something just for you!). Students will be greeted by one of our Student Ambassadors and they will walk you over to our Hall of Fame Room.
While you are waiting for your 9th grade host to pick you up you will have a chance meet other students who are shadowing that day as well as talk to some of our current students. We will also go over how the school day works and answer any questions you may have before your shadowing experience begins.
At 9:20am, our 9th graders will arrive to pick you up. Once you have met your host you’ll head to 3rd Period with them. After 4th Period it’s time for lunch. Lunch is a chance for 9th graders to take a break from the school day, meet up with friends, or maybe attend a club meeting. Underclassmen are not allowed off campus, but if the weather is nice your host might opt to sit outside. Feel free to pack your lunch or bring money to buy lunch – your host will show you the cafeteria no matter what! When lunch is over it’s time for you to head to 5th Period.
At 12:45pm, after 5th Period, your host will bring you back to the North Lobby where your parent can pick you up at that time.
Tips for your Shadow Day
- Bring a book, schoolwork, or something else to keep you occupied during classes. It is important to remember that you are just getting a snapshot of what a day is like at George and that might mean that a class is taking a test, completing readings, or studying for an exam. Just remember that a shadow day isn’t meant to entertain you. Instead a shadow day gives you a chance to be immersed in GW’s environment.
- Ask your host questions!
- Get involved in class! You are a GW student for the day.
FULL* November 6, 2019 | 8:00am
December 4, 2019 | 8:00am
February 5, 2020 | 8:00am
Registration: Please RSVP for the date you’ll be attending below. These informal meetings are a chance for you to ask parents, students, and staff members specific questions about George. Each session will conclude with a school tour led by a member of our George community.
GW OPEN HOUSES
October 16, 2019 | 6:00pm – 7:00pm
January 16, 2020 | 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Registration: No RSVP required.
Parents and students, come learn about our academic programs, take a tour, meet the Principal, and explore electives. GW’s open houses are a whirlwind tour of everything George has to offer! These self-guided nights will have a variety of breakout sessions to attend and a chance to meet GW’s Student Ambassadors.