COVID – COMMUNITY HEALTH UPDATE
To ensure the health of our entire community, please report all positive COVID-19 cases using this FORM. (You may also access the form via our WEBSITE home page, under COVID Resources.)
As of today, there are 11 active cases of COVID-19 in our school community. (This does not include cases that have recently resolved, or cases that have not been reported.) As you know, the Denver metropolitan area is experiencing a surge in infections. This significantly impacts both reporting and follow up. Active case numbers can be expected to change daily as cases continue to be reported.
We provide current active cases of COVID-19 each week in the Weekly Roundup. Each case of COVID-19 is interviewed by our school nurse. Unless you receive individual communication about exposure to a positive case, you do not need to take any action. As part of the public health investigation:
- In accordance with revised CDC and Denver Public Health guidelines, the new period of isolation for COVID-19 is 5 days followed by 5 days of strict mask use as long as the person is no longer showing symptoms. (Strict mask use means when students return to school they should eat separately from their peers in order to limit the amount of time they are unmasked in public spaces).
- In accordance with Denver Public Schools and Denver Public Health guidelines, students who are fully vaccinated and/or properly wearing their mask over their mouth and nose at the time of exposure to COVID-19 do not have to quarantine unless they are symptomatic. If a vaccinated/mask-compliant student begins to show symptoms, they do need to stay home until they present a negative COVID-19 test and are symptom-free. Any students who do not meet the vaccine or mask criteria are instructed to stay home from school for 5 days after the exposure. This is called quarantine.
- Please remember to always have a mask over your nose and mouth at all times while in the building.
- Please remember to stay home while test results are pending.
SCHEDULES – ALL AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES CANCELED TODAY
All DPS after school activities, including athletics, are canceled today due to winter weather conditions.
SCHEDULES – WEATHER DELAY SCHEDULE REMINDER
In the event of inclement weather, Denver Public Schools will decide when to institute a Weather Delay start. Weather Delays are implemented to allow school buses additional time to pick up students and reduce student wait time in severe weather conditions. In the event of a Weather Delay, all schools will shift their start time two hours later. You can find our Weather Delay Schedule HERE. The decision to close or delay school is made by the Superintendent based on information provided by DPS Transportation Services, city transportation agencies, and the weather bureau.STUDENT ABSENCES – MAKEUP WORK
If your student is absent, please remind them to access their assignments each day through Schoology, and encourage them to email their teachers about attending virtual office hours. At this time, most teachers are unable to offer livestreams of the courses being taught in-person.
SENIORS – REPORT COLLEGE ACCEPTANCES
Seniors, don’t forget to tell the Future Center about your college acceptances and scholarship awards! You can forward your acceptances and awards to email@example.com or fill out the Google forms on the Future Center Schoology course page (acceptances HERE and scholarship awards HERE).
JUNIORS – OPTIONAL SAT ESSAY REGISTRATION
When taking the Colorado School Day SAT on April 13, 11th grade students may choose whether they want to add the optional essay. The default registration for all students is the SAT without essay. Students who wish to take the optional essay must register for it in advance between January 17 and February 15. Students may add the essay to their registration through their online College Board account or by calling the College Board. Additional Information:
- The SAT essay is scored separately from the SAT.
- A student’s score on the essay will not improve or reduce their score on the SAT.
- The SAT with essay will take approximately one hour longer than the SAT without essay.
- The optional essay is only offered as part of the 11th grade SAT. There is no essay option for the PSAT 8/9 for 9th graders or the PSAT 10 for 10th graders.
- Directions to register online or by phone are HERE.
FIREPITS & S’MORES
Want to cozy up to a fire and quench that sweet tooth? Join us around some firepits for s’mores and hot chocolate on February 11 from 4:00pm – 6:00pm in the South Courtyard. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased on MySchoolBucks only.
DPS YOUR VOICE/TU VOZ STUDENT AND FAMILY SURVEYS
Thank you so much for the input you have given our district through previous family and student surveys. Your voice is essential to helping DPS do better! The January survey was sent via email to families and students on January 24. DPS students received their survey at their DPS email address. Families may take the survey from a link sent to their email, or use the link posted in the Parent Portal or at www.dpsk12.org/survey. Families, please fill out one survey for each student enrolled in DPS. Some questions are school- and grade-specific. You and your student are not required to take the survey and all answers are kept private and anonymous.
PARK BURGER FUNDRAISER
Do you love delicious burgers? Do you want to go out for lunch or dinner? Then go to Park Burger Hilltop (211 S. Holly St., Denver 80246) on January 26 from 11:00am – 8:30pm! A portion of the proceeds will come back to GWHS when you mention this fundraiser. Tell your friends and family to grab some grub on January 26 at Park Burger Hilltop and help support GWHS while also eating some great food!
WINTER EVENT DONATIONS
Student Leadership is hosting GW’s first “Firepits and S’mores” event in the GW South Courtyard on February 11 and we need YOU! We are looking for firepits to be donated for this amazing event. Click HERE to donate a firepit or decorations, and have them delivered right to GW (select “GW Student Leadership’s Gift Registry Address” at checkout)! You can also click HERE to donate funds.